Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Bubba
null

Question Hey Unfedfat! Clear Your PM Box!

Hi Adam. Have a couple questions for you, as apparently you are still active as of 7/16.

So this place is dead. Not a question, but bear with me.

As lifeless as it is, would you consider handing proper admin privileges over to one of the users, namely me? I mean, I doubt I can make anything worse than it is now. I've been here for 8+ years, why would I want to hurt my first forum? Just throwing that idea out there.

Second, what is Old Pig Networks?

Finally, what's with all these hundreds of new members each day that NEVER POST ANYTHING?! If you guys are reading this and want to enlighten me, please do. Even if you don't want to. I don't care if you just say, "dsoijfrjhg."

(This is directed back at Adam)
At the very least, show some sign of life! I'm sure those that are still around want to hear from you. Your last post was over 5 years ago, seriously.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Hey Bubba,

I hope you get a reply. I've tried this several times in the past, even while Adam was actively on the site. He's never answered me. I'm thinking Unfedfat is no longer Adam, but that is just a guess.

There is SOOO much spamming here, it's not even funny. I've tried to keep up with deleting all the spam. Thankfully "Adam" added a feature that doesn't allow anyone new from posting until it is accepted by a Mod. This takes care of the visible spam on the forum, but there are hundreds and hundreds of posts (if not 1,000's) in that queue. I've just about given up cleaning that out in the past month or so.

Anyway, good luck with contacting and getting a reply back from Adam or "Adam".

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Bubba
null

We'll see how it goes, but I'm sure you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Thankfully "Adam" added a feature that doesn't allow anyone new from posting until it is accepted by a Mod.

That's handy, except it also blocks any legit new users.... How ya gonna tell the difference until after they've spammed?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
That's handy, except it also blocks any legit new users.... How ya gonna tell the difference until after they've spammed?
That's a problem too as I am NOT going to be searching each post to figure out which are legit when each day the bots/spammers are making hundreds of posts. It's unbelievable...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Bubba
null

Yeah, and you shouldn't have to. There's a few simple things that can be used at registration to block bots altogether, from a captcha to simple arithmetic. There's no way this forum can make a comeback until that's fixed.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
Yeah, and you shouldn't have to. There's a few simple things that can be used at registration to block bots altogether, from a captcha to simple arithmetic. There's no way this forum can make a comeback until that's fixed.
It's been suggested that something of that nature be implemented...long ago when Adam was around.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Bubba
null

Well, all we can do now is either wait some more... or move on.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Hi Bubba!

As Bav said, there's a looooong queue of traffic so to speak, none of which you can see (that'll be why there's always hundreds of members appearing, none of which seem to post anything!), but that blocks our (Mods & S.Mods) vision everytime we sign in! I deleted like 2,500 threads once I seem to recall, but I don't have the patience to do it anymore, at least given the fact that you guys can't see it, makes this place look a bit more tidy!

Good luck with your search for UFF....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-07-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Bubba
null

I hope something'll come of it. Looks like he still hasn't logged in since I first posted.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Interesting that theis Car-Forums.com and the other CarForums.com both have admins who are MIA and don't really care about the sites anymore, yet refuse to give up the reins to someone who does. Both sites have devolved into spam havens that the few moderators left barely keep up with (and at least one mod is on both sites).

I've been on both since about '99 and I hate to see them die, but maybe we all need to just pack it up and leave. You'd think that the owners would just shut it down, as they can't be getting much money from them.

ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Interesting that theis Car-Forums.com and the other CarForums.com both have admins who are MIA and don't really care about the sites anymore, yet refuse to give up the reins to someone who does. Both sites have devolved into spam havens that the few moderators left barely keep up with (and at least one mod is on both sites).

I've been on both since about '99 and I hate to see them die, but maybe we all need to just pack it up and leave. You'd think that the owners would just shut it down, as they can't be getting much money from them.
I'll admit that the issue with spam seems to be returning at the other CF too. The Admin there did put a filter in place, but it doesn't seem to be effective anymore. He was certainly more active than UFF is here. The spam issue isn't a big problem here anymore, but members that genuinely want to stay around is. It needs to rank higher on search engines probably, as that's where most people start their search for sites like this.

This place used to rank within the top three on Google, but it seems to be completely gone from the ranks now! Other CF is still there, but the quality of new members seems to be few and far between! This place needs to be updated as it's running on old software that other forums seem tom have overtaken. The other CF had a revamp in 2007 which was when I was appointed as A Mod over there, which may have something to do with why it still ranks high on Google (not me being a Mod, but the revamp, lol). We need an Admin...

Remember SUV Forums? That went well, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-25-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I tried getting ahold of Steve at the other CF, but he's MIA just like whomever is running the show here.

ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
The spam issue isn't a big problem here anymore,...

Not necessarily. The problem of spam just isn't visible to the average user here, but the problem is massive! Between yesterday at about 4pm PST and today (about 1pm PST), I removed 468 spam threads and about 80 posts in existing threads. This is not counting the myriads of new members which are mostly bots. I was banning their membership, but it has become overwhelming to do so.

The spam problem here is very much alive and well.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Not necessarily. The problem of spam just isn't visible to the average user here, but the problem is massive! Between yesterday at about 4pm PST and today (about 1pm PST), I removed 468 spam threads and about 80 posts in existing threads. This is not counting the myriads of new members which are mostly bots. I was banning their membership, but it has become overwhelming to do so.

The spam problem here is very much alive and well.
I agree it's an issue, but if members can't see it it's as good as not there. At best it's an annoyance to us, as we have to see it!